The Physical Planning Unit is focused on a long-term strategic vision that involves:
“Vast improvement in the quality of life in Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique, through sustainable management of the physical environment.”
- Revenue and Expenditure Estimate
The Physical Planning and Development Authority is a division governed by the Ministry of Communications, Works Physical Development, Public Utilities, ICT and Community Development. The Physical Planning and Development Authority is the authority that supervises the implementation of the Physical Planning and Development Control Act # 23 (2016) which makes provisions for the control of physical development, the preparation of physical plans for Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinque and the protection of the natural and cultural heritage.
The objectives of the Act are:-
- Ensure that appropriate and sustainable use is made of all publicly-owned and privately owned land in Grenada, in the public interest;
- Facilitate a continuous improvement in the quality of life of every person in Grenada;
- Provide for the orderly, efficient development of the resources of Grenada, taking account of all relevant social, economic and environmental factors, so as to ensure that sustainable use is made of land in the interests of all the people of Grenada;
- Maintain and improve the quality of the physical environment within which human settlements are situated in Grenada;
- Provide for the orderly sub-division of land and the provision of services in relation thereto;
- Secure the health, safety, welfare and convenience of persons in or about buildings, and of others who may be affected by buildings or matter connected with buildings;
- Contribute to the protection and conservation of the cultural heritage of Grenada, as it finds expression in the natural and the built environment;
- Foster awareness that all persons and organisations owning, occupying and developing land have a duty to use that land with due regard for the wider interests, both present and future, of society.